WHAT'S IN THE KIT
The RUV Fan kit ships as a box that contains:
Modified Maxair fans (2)
Wooden Fan Ring
3M Waterproof Tape Strips (8)
3M Adhesive primer
What else will you need? A buddy, a jigsaw or a sawzall with a metal cutting blade, acetone (paint thinner) to clean the roof surface, a tall ladder to get on the roof.
SUMMARY OF THE STEPS
Mark and drill corner holes in van roof
Cut square roof hole
Install Rooftop fan base and square wooden mounting brace
Prep roof area and apply 3M Waterproof Tape Strips (8)
Place fan on the mounting base
Repeat the steps for the second fan
DETAILED FAN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
1. MARK THE FAN PLACEMENT
Using Template to mark where you will cut
- Front Bay-Line notches with the front fan ring and with the center holes lined up mark the inside corners of the fan ring for cutting
- Rear Fan Bay- The fan ring one side we routed out material and the front of the fan ring notches over flange. You then line up center holes and mark the corner
- Drill pilot hole from the bottom using boring step bit (step bit link). Bore a [half inch] hole big enough to drop a sabre saw in. Make sure and line the hole you are drilling to match a radius in the corner.
Cut two square holes in roof.
- Clean around area you will cut (paint thinner)
- Using a sharpie straight line guide to mark straight lines on the outside of the holes you drilled in
- You can use a jig saw or a sawzall with a metal cutting blade to cut the roof. The tolerance on the fan assembly is enough that a perfect straight line is not required
3. BASE AND BRACE
Attach fan base to the roof
- Clean around the cut area with paint thinner
- Use a metal file to clean up the edges of your cut
- Using some rust protection paint or primer treat the edge of the roof cut using a foam brush.
- Drill pilot hole with the fan top trim ring. There are 4 on each side. 1/8” Drill bit
- Mount the wooden fan base from the inside of the fan. Using the screws provided in the fan kit screw the top fan trim ring through the roof to the wooden base. It helps to have a buddy hold the wooden base in place from below or clamp the wooden base.
Seal the top fan ring with water proof tape
- Clean the edge with acetone/paint thinner and prep for
- Use a first primer stick from the fan kit to prep the surface on the top plastic edge of the fan ring. Use a second primer stick and paint around the van roof painted area around the ring. Be liberally with your application and go out about two inches from the edge of the plastic ring on the van roof
Apply 3M Ceiling tape to waterproof the fan mount
- This is special (and expensive!) waterproof tape from 3M that is tough to peel up if you make a mistake.
- First apply tape starting with the rear edge of the fan. Cover the plastic edge of the fan ring over the screws. Work the tape flat and remove air bubbles. When done peel the top plastic cover off the tape.
- Do the same with each side of the fan ring.
- Apply tape to the forward side of the fan ring.
5. PLACE FAN
Place Fan onto roof mounted fan base
- Raise metal tabs slightly with a screw driver
- Raise the fan in its shroud by mechanically twisting the fan raise screw
- Set fan onto base
- Use the 4 stainless metal screws in the kit and screw 2 on each side. Also reserve the white screws in a safe place as these will be used for the inside fan trim ring at a later point in the build